Thursday 26 July 2012

Customer Engagement and smoke and mirrors travel money 'sales'

I'm travelling in Europe soon so have been watching the exchange rate between the Pound and Euro with more interest than I usually would.  I've noticed some travel shops advertising travel money sales and thought I might take advantage of one to make my money stretch a bit further whilst I'm away.



That is until I had a conversation with a friend who works in a Thomas Cook travel shop this morning.  He explained that when they put up 'sale' signs on travel money the rate doesn't change at all, it's the same as it is (or would be) every other day. 

They would no doubt say that it's not intentionally misleading and maybe even that the signs are purely to make customers aware that travel money is on sale.

But given the almost universally accepted interpretation of the word sale (i.e. an occasion (usually brief) for buying at specially reduced prices) what I thought it meant was different, and I suspect others' do too.

Yet another example of short term thinking driving actions at the expense of the long term relationship with customers.......

LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/timhadfield
Twitter: @accordengage
Telephone: 0044 07906650019

No comments:

Post a Comment