Tuesday 18 December 2012

When an upgrade backfires!

I was away with my family last weekend, visiting the excellent 'Festival of Angels' in York - highly recommended for anyone seeking an enjoyable pre-Christmas experience in the north of England!

Indeed, it was so popular that despite extensive searching I was unable to find a hotel room in York and ended up pre-booking at the Marriott Hotel in Leeds.  Even then I had to book two double rooms as all their family rooms were booked.

It was a bit of a surprise then that after checking in, getting the lift and walking into the first room I found it had two queen size beds in it - it was the family room we'd initially requested.  And the surprise grew when my wife opened the door of the second room and that too was the same, another family room!  My first thought was that we would after all be able to spend the night together in one room - good news!  But that was closely followed by confusion - was it a mistake, had we been given the wrong rooms?

So I went back down to reception to ask them to clarify.  When I asked the manager (I think) at reception he confirmed that the rooms were correct and that we'd received a complimentary upgrade.  My initial reaction was to explain that we'd just use one room, at which point he interrupted and said that we must pay for the two rooms booked.  From that point I think the value of the conversation deteriorated.  It went something like this:

Me: "But when I initially tried to book a family room your website indicated that none were available and the only way you could accommodate me (and my family) was in two separate rooms."
Him: "That was probably the case at the time sir."
Me: "But what's the point in giving us two family rooms when we clearly only need one?"
Him (looking confused): "Because we've upgraded you sir."
Me: "But I don't want one of the rooms.  What I wanted all along was one family room."
Him: "As I've already said sir, you will have to pay for both rooms."
Me: "I will pay for them, but that's not my point.  My point is, why give me a further room that is of no value because it'll be unoccupied?"
Him: "That's your choice sir but it was an upgrade."
Me: "But it's of no value, and to be honest I'm now starting to feel conned into buying a room I don't need."
Him: "We haven't conned you sir.  This is how hotels work, we allocate rooms based on what works best, for the customer and the hotel.  It's about various things, room availability, location of the rooms - you wouldn't want to be woken in the middle of the night, and so on."
Me: "But why did your website indicate there was no family room available?"
Him: "there can't have been at that time."
Me: "That sounds questionnable to me - that two family rooms suddenly became available."
Him: "That must be the case sir."
Me: "In which case I don't understand why nobody rang me to ask whether I'd like to switch from two double rooms to one family room."
Him: "That's not how we work sir.  it's not up to us to do that."
Me: "Well if you'd checked your records you'd see that whenever I have stayed in a Marriott hotel I've always stayed in a family room."
Him: "You don't understand how hotels work sir."
Me: "Obviously not.  You don't get why I'm frustrated do you?"
Him: "No, not really sir, we've upgraded you."
Me: "Let me explain.  Imagine you wanted to hire a car for your family of four.  You ring the car hire company and they tell you that they don't have a four seater but you agree to take two two seaters instead.  Then, when you arrive to collect the cars they give you two four seaters.  How would you feel?"
Him: "It's really not the same sir.  Hotels are car hire are completely different."
Me: "No it's not, the principle is exactly the same!  I'll pay for the two rooms but you need to know that you've turned a loyal customer and advocate into one who is really unhappy with Marriott."
Him: "It's not me sir.  I'm just applying the rules."
Me: "And the fact that you're now abdicating responsibility for this makes it even worse.  Anyway, I want you to know how disappointed I am because I do feel conned and because you just don't seem to follow why."
Pause.....
Him: "I'm sorry about that sir.  On this one occassion, and as a gesture of goodwill I will release the other room.  But I wouldn't be able to do it again next time."

And at that we concluded the discussion.  Him clearly frustrated that he'd lost income on a room and me equally frustrated that he couldn't understand my logic, or at least wouldn't accept it.

The rest of the stay was good.  The room was great, the beds were very comfortable and we had a delicious meal in the restaurant.  But I still felt disappointed and frustrated with the overall experience - and still do. 

I'd assumed that upgrades were always a gesture of goodwill from the supplier, designed to be for the customer, providing added value and benefit for them - at no charge and for their convenience.  Perhaps that's not always the case.

Has anyone else had unwelcome, inconvenient or no added value upgrade experiences?


Twitter: @accordengage
Telephone: 0044 07906650019

No comments:

Post a Comment