Monday 16 January 2012

Contrasting Public Sector Experiences - and lessons learned (Part 2)

Following on from the poor experience with the Office of the Public Guardian, on Friday of last week I had a completely different experience with another public sector organisation - NHS Blood and Transplant, who manage the voluntary donation of blood by hundreds of thousands of people across the UK.

My appointment to give blood was last Friday afternoon. I took with me the letter I'd received confirming the appointment. Actually I'd had a busy afternoon so could have done without having to finish early but when I got the letter out I couldn't not go. The strapline 'do something amazing' was on it, and it also thanked me for donating. I felt valued already and so it didn't seem right not to go.

I felt I'd made the right decision as soon as I walked into the room. A nurse took my letter and thanked me again for going. The same happened when I was called to give a small sample, and again when I was called to actually donate. The nurse who looked after me couldn't have been more pleasant and was made sure that I was comfortable. She checked I knew what was going to happen and had no concerns, and then came back to me a couple of times to make sure everything was ok.

Afterwards, they sat me down, made me a cup of coffee, offered me a biscuit and stopped to talk. And then when I left several of the staff there said "thanks" and "goodbye". I felt valued and was pleased I'd gone.

As with the previous experience, I know it wasn't personal to me. The process is designed to be the same for everyone. But it's 'outside - in', thought about from the customers perspective - and on the basis that I seem to see the same people there everytime I go, I suspect it produces the results they're looking for - loyal customers who go back time and time again.

I guess they're forced to get the process right because if it's not, they wouldn't get sufficient people going back, and whilst I suspect that's true, it's more than that. I believe that because the process is customer focused, the behaviours of the nurses follow almost automatically and then then the whole thing comes together to deliver a great experience for their customers, time and time again.

Design your processes to evoke positive emotions for your customers, make them feel good, and they'll come back....

No comments:

Post a Comment