Thursday 12 April 2012

The Apprentice: UK (Sugar) v US (Trump)

I watch the Apprentice - the UK version with Lord Sugar and when I notice it's on in the TV listings, I also watch the US version with Donald Trump. Three(?) programmes into the new series in the UK and I have to say I'm watching for negative rather than positive reasons.
None of the candidates are covering themselves in glory. Each episode seems to be full of poor judgements, bad mistakes and dubious behaviours. Having said it's increasingly clear that the way the programme is set up is intentionally designed to encourage the candidates to be very competitive and perhaps in those circumstances it's understandable their behaviours become a bit questionnable.
But the focus of my frustration with the programme is not so much with the candidates - it's more with Lord Sugar. He interrupts the candidates, he talks over them, he belittles them and insults them. He gives them little credit for things they do well, and there's little explanation about the things they don't. His leadership style seems to be based exclusively on positional power. It's all about his position on the show and implicitly about his success in business and huge wealth. And he regularly reminds the candidates of all this. Last night his lines included: "This is my boardroom, this is my process, this is my money!" Clearly he's earned the right to use this style. But it's all too one-dimensional.
"Love and respect do not automatically accompany a position of leadership. They must be earned."
On the other hand, in the US version of the programme it seems to me that whilst Donald Trump sometimes uses positional power he much more often uses personal power. Whilst positional power comes from external factors, personal power comes from within, it's the ability a leader has to influence others through their confidence, assurance and charisma. In my opinion it's more constructive - and a style I'd rather use and follow. And it's also why I make the US Apprentice more watchable than the UK version.......
Which do you prefer?
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/timhadfield
Twitter: @accordengage
Telephone: 0044 07906650019

No comments:

Post a Comment